Thursday, October 24, 2019

Shannon’s journey to healing and self-sufficiency


Shannon shared her story at Off the Wall.  Thank you, Shannon, for inspiring attendees with your strength and determination.  To video featuring Shannon and her family, visit www.sheffieldplace.org

“More than two years ago, I found out about Sheffield Place.  I had just gotten out of 120 days in prison as shock time for forgery and for resisting arrest.
 
“You see, I had been in and out of jail since I was 18.
  I was high all the time – meth, marijuana, alcohol – whatever was available.  Addiction was all I knew.  Both of my parents used drugs and had been in prison as well.  But I wanted a better life for myself and my daughters.

“I was discharged from prison to a half-way house and then came to Sheffield Place.   I was able to get daughters back.   At that point I thought – I can do this myself – so I didn’t really buy into the program for the first few weeks. 

“The staff helped me do better.  They came and got me for groups and worked with me on addiction recovery one-on-one in addition to groups.  One of the therapists worked on parenting with me and taught me how to be involved with my children and focus on the positive.  I just didn’t know how to do it, but I learned.  

“After two months at Sheffield Place, I got a job working at a local hotel.
 
“In November 2018, Sheffield Place offered me the opportunity to rent one of their houses.  I am grateful for the ongoing support and accountability that comes with it. 

“I celebrated 2 years of sobriety on September 13 of this year.

“Now I’m happy.  I have my children, a home, and a job.  I look forward to going back to school when my girls go to school.  We can all do our homework together.  I’d want to be a substance abuse counselor or enter another helping profession.
 
“Thank you, Sheffield Place, for helping me and my family have a healthy future.  Thanks to all of you for being here and for helping the many other moms who want to do what I’ve done.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment